best nameserver server-confirguration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 30 22:36:14 UTC 2000

cansas wrote:

> > How many zones do you have, and how large are they?
>
> At this momet we have about 500 zones. Aproximately 95% of them just have 3
> A records, 1 MX record, 2 NS records and 1 SOA record. So they are rather
> small.

 Then I wouldn't worry too much about the effect of your hard disk drive's
speed on zone loading.

The only other thing that occurs to me, is if you are doing extensive logging,
e.g. query logging, and a high query volume, maybe the disk speed could become
a factor. Logging is where most of the "I/O Wait" time goes on my dedicated
nameservers. But you'd probably have to be in the 100's or 1000's of queries
per second *sustained* before the logging subsystem would start to bottleneck,
and even then, you'd still have the option of relieving the bottleneck via
remote syslogging, assuming you had some other close machine with excess disk
I/O and space capacity to perform that function.

- Kevin