logging w/chrooted bind 8.8.8-P5 problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 30 22:20:57 UTC 2000

otrcomm***NO-SPAM***@wildapache**NO-SPAM***.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have bind 8.8.8-P5 running in a chrooted environment

Uh, I think you mean 8.2.2-p5, right?

> In my named.conf file I have:
>
> logging {
>            channel dns_syslog {
>              syslog daemon;
>              severity info;
>            };
>             channel dns_log_file {
>             file "/var/log/named.log";
>             severity debug;
>             print-category yes;
>             print-severity yes;
>             print-time yes;
>           };
>
>           category statistics { dns_log_file; };
>           category queries { dns_log_file; };
>           category default { dns_log_file; };
>           category panic { dns_log_file; };
>           category eventlib { dns_log_file; };
>           category load { dns_log_file; };
>           category db { dns_log_file; };
>           category xfer-out { dns_log_file; };
>           category panic { dns_log_file; };
>           category security { dns_log_file; };
>           category insist { dns_log_file; };
>           category response-checks { dns_log_file; };
>           category lame-servers { null; };
>           category cname { dns_log_file; };
> };
>
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
> };
>
> My chroot directory is /chroot/named/
>
> I have my syslog running as:
> syslogd -m 0 -a /chroot/named/dev/log
>
> Now, my named.log file that I am redirecting dns output to ends up in
>
> /chroot/named/var/log/named.log

> Is there any way that I can log to a file called named.log outside my chrooted environment?
>
> Say at /var/log/named.log?

Your nameserver isn't configured to use syslog for logging. To do what you want, probably you
should be. Failing that, you could always hard-link /var/log/named.log and
/chroot/named/var/log/named.log, if they are on the same filesystem, or make
/var/log/named.log a symlink to /chroot/named/var/log/named.log (but not in the other
direction since symlinks too are subject to the chroot() translation).

- Kevin