Virtual hosts help

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 30 21:49:06 UTC 2000

You can add as many PTR records as you wish for that one address. I've never known any application to look beyond the first one. Possibly IRC is smart enough to do so. If so, I'd like to hear
about it, since I've been telling folks for a long time that it's a waste to have more than one PTR for a given address: maybe I'll have to add an IRC exception to that general rule.

Are you sure IRC isn't doing the *forward* lookup first and then the reverse lookup, and then, in the case of a forward-reverse mismatch, another forward lookup to verify that the other
forward name resolves to the same IP address? It may be hiding all of this ugliness from you and only *appearing* to find the "non-primary" PTR record...

                                                                                                                                                - Kevin