nsupdate in a high-availability configuration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 19 19:45:37 UTC 2000

The update clients shouldn't be using resolv.conf to determine where to
send a Dynamic Update. They should be using the SOA and NS records of
the zone they're trying to update.

In theory, I believe the following would work: set the SOA MNAME to a
name which resolves to the address of the master and one or more
registered slaves, under normal circumstances this means that updates
may sometimes go to slaves instead of to the master, but that's okay
because the slaves will just forward them to the master; when the master
fails, reconfigure one of the slaves as the master, this should be
totally transparent to the update clients.

Unfortunately, update forwarding is broken in BIND 8. But this scheme
should work in BIND 9.

- Kevin