Question about large zone files

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 18 21:07:20 UTC 2000

In the absence of IXFR (Incremental Zone Transfer), a zone of this size
might waste a lot of zone-transfer resources, especially if the zone is
changing frequently, as it probably would be, given your description.
Supposedly IXFR works in 8.2.3 and 9.0.0, but I haven't verified that
personally.

Even with IXFR, though, I find zones with many thousands of entries to be
unwieldy and prefer to split them up. Call it a personal preference. This
is an in-addr.arpa domain right? Why not delegate at least some of it
down to the /24 level? If you're ever going to delegate /24 chunks to
your clients, it's something you have to do anyway.

- Kevin