BIND 8 and Windows 2000 DNS

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Wed Oct 18 20:46:09 UTC 2000

>Tom Warfield wrote:
> >
> > Well i am wondering if the Windows 2000 DNS server can update a BIND 8
> > server?
> >
> > Just a thought, but im a newbie and have heard mixed things about this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom
>
>I'm glad someone else is asking this as well.  I've heard from unix/bind
>administrators that yes in fact with a little planning you can use bind
>8.2.2p5 with windows 2000.  However I've also heard (from Windows
>Administrators) that you absolutely have to have the windows 2000 DNS as
>the primary .... here's a link i did find useful though:
>
>http://www.nominum.com/resources/faqs/bind-faq.html#w2k
>
>Joe

I can add that visitors to my BIND8NT site in my sig who run 8.2.2p5
port for NT4 report good success with it on W2K.

Including suffering from the "multiple A record" bug and benefitting
from its patch also on my site.

I cannot report on W2K DNS requiring to be master, but when it is,
I've seen NT BIND 8.2.2p5 slave to it just fine (ie, notify worked
and zone transfers, too).

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5  installable binary for NT4
http://IMGate.MEIway.com:  Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways