DDNS Separate Zone or Subzone

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Tue Oct 17 14:56:54 UTC 2000

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:55:47AM +0000, Rich Shetina wrote:
> servers/printers/etc., I should use a separate zone (ex.
> myco-ddns.com) as opposed to a sub-zone (ddns.myco.com), correct?

A zone is a zone, is a zone. A zone has two key characteristics -- NS
records, and only NS records, in its parent zone and a zone statement
for the zone in the named.conf of its nameservers.
iedr.net is no more a zone than dhcp.iedr.ie -- they merely have
different names.

> Could someone please confirm my conclusion or point out my lack of
> brain synapses?

Using names of the form something.domain.com doesn't create a zone.
Using NS records to delegate to nameservers, which have explicit zone
statements and zone-files for the delegation, does.

My guess is that you don't have a statment along the lines of:

zone "ddns.myco.com" {
	file "masters/ddns.myco.com.zone";
	[...]
};

in your named.conf. Add ddns.myco.com to your nameservers just as you
did for myco.com, with its own zone statement and zone file. Add NS
records to the myco.com zone file to make the delegation, pointing at
the nameservers for ddns.myco.com (which may, or may not, be the same as
the nameservers for myco.com).

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)