Using nsupdate to add an NS record

Stephen Carville carville at ugsolutions.com
Tue Oct 17 01:31:37 UTC 2000

You're right.  It does work.  I mispelled the name of the domain to
update. <sound of palm slapping forehead>

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Kevin Darcy wrote:

-
-I just tested it, and the NS record was added just fine.
-
-Of course, with BIND 8's nsupdate I don't think there is any to add a
-delegation NS record to the *parent* zone once the delegation already
-exists; the update will automatically go to the master of the *child* zone.
-Maybe that's what's happening in your case, combined with the fact that the
-master of the child zone may not be configured to allow Dynamic Update at
-all for the zone. If so, then you might want to look at using BIND 9's
-nsupdate, which should be compatible with a BIND 8 nameserver, and which
-has a way to explicitly tell it what zone should be updated. Caveat: I have
-not tried this, I'm only going by what's in the documentation.
-
-
-- Kevin
-
-Stephen Carville wrote:
-
-> Is it possible to add an NS record using nsupdate?  I am trying with
-> a line like:
->
-> update add cyhpdhcp.ugsolutions.com 86400 IN NS cyhpr235.ugsolutions.com
->
-> but it keeps returning a status of refused.  From looking at the source
-> code this should be possible.  I am using Bind 8.2.2p5

--
--Stephen Carville
Network Engineer