Using nsupdate to add an NS record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 17 01:04:27 UTC 2000

I just tested it, and the NS record was added just fine.

Of course, with BIND 8's nsupdate I don't think there is any to add a
delegation NS record to the *parent* zone once the delegation already
exists; the update will automatically go to the master of the *child* zone.
Maybe that's what's happening in your case, combined with the fact that the
master of the child zone may not be configured to allow Dynamic Update at
all for the zone. If so, then you might want to look at using BIND 9's
nsupdate, which should be compatible with a BIND 8 nameserver, and which
has a way to explicitly tell it what zone should be updated. Caveat: I have
not tried this, I'm only going by what's in the documentation.

- Kevin