DNS MX Record

M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com
Wed Oct 11 16:07:54 UTC 2000

The problem was with the Firewall not allowing smtp to the host.

I'm guilty of not checking the timers.  I only checked the MX  and A
records.  I'll check them next time.

Mike

--
Mike Ashcraft, Sr. Network Engineer
epixtech, Inc.
M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com

"Mathias Körber" <mathias at koerber.org>
Sent by: bind-users-bounce at isc.org
10/10/00 08:34 PM

        To:     <M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com>, <vu.phan at intertrade.com>
        cc:     <bind-users at isc.org>
        Subject:        RE: DNS MX Record

> DNS looks fine from here.  You do not need an MX record for svy01ad00 =
but=20
> it is not causing problems.=20

DNS definitely does NOT look fine:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
intertrade.com.         1D IN SOA       ns.itrade.net. =
postmaster.itrade.net. (
                                        2000101007      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        2H              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

See the 2H expiry time? This will instruct the secondary nameservers
to TOTALLY FORGET about his zone after 2 hours. That is shorter than
the REFRESH time, so the domain will definitely be GONE before the =
secondary even tries
rtesting whether it is still there on the primary.
The EXPIRY time should be at least 1 week, I recommend 3 to 4 weeks (to =
handle
longish admin absence).

Mathias

>=20
> DNS queries to your server took over 8 seconds.  If this is typical, =
it=20
> could be your problem.  yahoo or others could cache the negative=20
> response.=20
> =20
>=20
> Have you checked to make sure your firewall is not blocking=20
> incomming mail=20
> to this host?  I can not communicate with svy01ad00 via smtp from=20
> here. It=20
> could also be a mail server configuration issue.=20
>=20
> If you try these and still think its BIND post your config files.
>=20
> Good Luck,
>=20
> Mike
> --
> Mike Ashcraft, Sr. Network Engineer
> epixtech, Inc.
> M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> vu.phan at intertrade.com
> Sent by: bind-users-bounce at isc.org
> 10/10/00 05:35 PM
>=20
> =20
>         To:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
>         cc:=20
>         Subject:        DNS MX Record
>=20
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> We own the following domain: intertrade.com.  I'm trying to set up a=20
> test email server with the following name: svy01ad00.intertrade.com.  =
I=20