Unable to lookup host.. mystified

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 11 01:58:03 UTC 2000

YUCK!

polysort.com doesn't answer authoritatively for either virtual1.com or
twinsisters.com.

beast.virtual1.com is listed as the *only* NS record for both of those domains,
so effectively that's the only nameserver that folks will use for those domains
once they have those NS records cached. If that nameserver becomes unavailable,
then tough luck. They've created a single point of failure.

They have also committed a big no-no by not including beast.virtual1.com in the
delegations for either domain. This bogosity is masked somewhat by the fact
that the NS record for virtual1.com has a TTL of 0, but then that's just plain
anti-social...

The negative cache entry is for "www.twinsisters.com.private", so it's no
surprise that the root servers claimed non-existence. You are apparently using
a brain-dead lookup tool like "nslookup" that automatically does
"searching" when an initial name lookup fails, and you apparently also have
your default domain or searchlist set to "private". Use something better, like
"dig". Moreover, you apparently aren't blocking the "private" TLD from being
forwarded to the Internet for resolution. Please correct this. The root servers
don't need bogus traffic like this.

- Kevin