reverse deligation

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Oct 10 14:47:21 UTC 2000

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:13:32PM -0700, andreas werla wrote:
> hi
>
> what is the best way  to setup the reverse for
> 256 /24
>
> all in one and on 4 server
> or
> 4 server withs 64 /24 ?
>
> andreas

If I understand your question correctly - and I am not at all sure that
I do - you are asking whether it is better to have a single server for
reverse DNS for the 256 addresses in a /24 network, or to divide it up
into four (4) 64-address /26 networks.

All other things being equal, it is easier for the hostmaster to do it
as a single /24 network than four /26 networks.  But all other things
are rarely equal.  If the four /26 networks are administered by four
totally separate groups with their own hostmasters, it would often be
far easier to use RFC 2713 and delegate [note spelling] the reverse DNS
for the four subnetworks.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B