BIND 8.x and W2k Update

Loucks, Guy Guy.Loucks at det.nsw.edu.au
Fri Oct 6 05:12:50 UTC 2000

People,

A further update to our BIND and W2K issue, before I forward this as a
suggestion / bug I would welcome peoples comments.

It appears the following config does not support delegation:

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb/ns_db";
        forward only;
        forwarders {
                153.107.41.18;
                153.107.41.146;
                153.107.41.18;
                153.107.41.146;
                153.107.41.18;
                153.107.41.146;
        };
        multiple-cnames yes;
        version "Surely you must be joking!";

You must not be a forward configuration. I have not found anything
enlightening in any of the docs, or news archives.

We have even had difficulties with defining a separate forward in the
delegated zone.

It looks like someone decided if you are parenting you must not be a
slave!?!??

Any comments on whether this was a deliberate or an unintentional design
decision would be greatly appreciated.

We have only tested bind 8 code, we have an issue with Round Robin CNAMES
which must be resolved prior to analysis of bind 9.

Please email comments directly to me, and I will summarise.

Regards,

Guy

Guy R. Loucks
Senior Unix Systems Administrator