downside of having both abc.com and www.abc.com

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Mon Oct 9 06:03:44 UTC 2000

> We can setup in such a way that "visitors" can access a web site =
either
> entering www.abc.com or abc.com by having an additional entry in the =
DNS.
>=20
> Only entering abc.com without www. is certainly easing visitor's=20
> typing.  Is
> there any down-side of such implementation?

Sure. You would assume that all other services which only use the
domainname also get served on the same host(s). WIth email it's not
a problem since you can publish MX resords to point mail for =
user at abc.com
to a certain set of systems, but what about ftp? If you want to
provide FTP users the same convenience, that same host will have to
run the FTP server. Other protocols might ave similar issues.

Of course this is no problem if you only care about www.

In the future this kind of 'problem' is to be taken care of by SRV
records which tell where certain services for a domainname are
actually located (including ports!)

regards