Delegation within my control?

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Mon Oct 9 05:09:29 UTC 2000

> I've spent the last hour and a half looking through the list and I =
can't
> find the exact answer that I need.  I am an ISP with 64 contiguous =
Class
> C's given to me by ARIN.  I have many customers that I provide access =
> but no have the first who wants his Class C (in our block) "pointed" =
> his nameservers for reverse lookups.  Do I:

> 1)  Submit an "in-addr" request to ARIN?

a) I guess you don't have the delegation for the parent reverse zone, as =
you
only have 64 /24s yourself. In that case, you will have to ask ARIN to =
delegate
the /24 to your customer's nameservers.

Your agreement with your customers might include running secondary NS =
for their
reverse zone, in which case you would have to set up your nameserver for =
that zone
too.

If you gave the customers less than a /24 , you would have to ask ARIN
to delegate the reverse for the affected /24 to you, and then delegate a
subdomain of that (corresponding to the addresses you gave to the =
customer)
according to RFC2317 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2317.txt)

>    ---and/or---
> 2)  Make the necessary changes to the named.conf file?

in the /24 case:
Only if your nameserver if also running secondary for that reverse zone.

in the RFC2317 case, you would have to set up the reverse zone for
the /24 on your servers, and then delegate the subdomain out, which will
definitely involve editing your named.conf.

>    ---and/or---
> 3)  Make the necessary changed to the db.xxx.xxx.xxx file?

see #2

HTH HAND