top level domains

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Fri Oct 6 17:17:55 UTC 2000

> sorry if this is off topic...

It is, as this is a BIND specific, technical list. But here goes =
anyway..

>=20
> do top level country domains (.br .ar .uk) have to be in their =
country? i
> would like to host a .br domain name in the US but it seems that it =
isn't
> possible.

I guess you mean you want a domain under a specific TLD, not the whole =
TLD, right?

That depends on the policies set by the TLD. SOme countries (eg New =
Zealand) do not have
any restrictions as to the location (or citicenship, country of =
registration [for businesses etc])
of the registrant, while others do.

>=20
> Does anyone know where i can find more info on this? Or which RFC =
details
> this issue?

There is none. The nearest would be RFC1591 which outlines how domains =
(including TLD)
get delegated, but it does not proscribe policies to the managers of a =
TLD. It does
set out a certain set of policies which shall apply in the absence of =
specific policies
set by the TLD manager, but then enforcing those is also very difficult.

In general, the gTLDs (.com/.org/.net) do not have restrictions on =
locations, while the ccTLDS
(cc:country code) may have, but you will have to check that with the =
managers of that specific
TLD. FOr a list of these check the IANA webpages www.iana.org

regards