Need help with named.conf

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Oct 5 22:40:47 UTC 2000

If you absolutely need to get rid of *all* files related to each others'
zones, then you could set up zones of "type forward". This requires at
least BIND 8.2.

As a compromise, though, you might be better off with "stub" zones. These
will still store information in files, but it'll only be the SOA and
NS records, so the files (and transfers) are small. The advantage of stub
zones is that they result in iterative queries being sent to the remote
nameservers, which is generally more efficient than the recursive queries
used by "type forward" zones. "Stub" zones work with any version of BIND 8,
I believe.

- Kevin