wrong domain name appended

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 4 23:02:46 UTC 2000

When the initial query times out, nslookup's suckiness causes it try to
"search" for the requested name by appending suffixes to it. This "search"
is therefore just a symptom of the problem rather than a cause of it. The
root cause appears to be that your forwarding is broken.

Note that real lookup tools like "dig" don't confuse matters by
implementing "search" algorithms by default, and are therefore preferable
in troubleshooting DNS problems.

Are you sure your forwarder accepts recursive queries? Is there a firewall
or router between you and the forwarder that might be blocking queries? Are
you sure that your forwarder itself can resolve these names? If you have a
whole chain of forwarders, you might need to backtrack from the outermost
one until you hit one that can't resolve external names. Then focus on the
(mis)communication between that nameserver and its upstream forwarder.

- Kevin