Sysquery Errors

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 28 01:00:31 UTC 2000

fievel58 at my-deja.com wrote:

> I have seen this error in the archives and the only response I have
> seen is that you must find out why the root server is not responding.
> The error looks like this:
> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: sysquery: no addrs found for root
> NS (svr006.tcs.treas.gov)
> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: sysquery: no addrs found for root
> NS (svr015.tcs.treas.gov)
> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: ns_req: no address for root server
> Nov 20 07:38:23 hqdns1 named[6418]: sysquery: no addrs found for root
> NS ()
>
> So far in working with the engineers who run the root server have: I
> have run a sniffer when I am getting the error. Traffic appears normal.
> Queries and responses in both directions.
> I dumped the cache and database. The addresses were in the cache and
> the database files.

Every time the root zone data expires the nameserver needs to get a fresh
copy, and if the root servers aren't answering at that particular time,
you'll get the error messages cited above. The nameserver will keep on
retrying, and if it eventually gets through to a root server, then it'll
be happy until the next time the root zone data expires from the cache.

So tell the root-zone administrators to raise their TTLs. Or make yourself
a slave to the root zone.

- Kevin