DNS Opcode-8 (Refresh)?

Scott Bertilson scott at nts.umn.edu
Wed Nov 22 19:51:07 UTC 2000

> >> I have a sniffer trace of dialog between some Win2k boxes and a Unix
> >> BIND server.  There are some DNS records with
> >>
> >>      OPCODE=8
> >>
> >> The sniffer decodes this opcode as "refresh".  I have been unable to
> >> locate the RFC where this opcode is defined.  Can anyone point me to
> >> the proper RFC?  Thanks.
>
> >  Did you ever get any info on where this is defined?
> >					Scott
>
> I have been unsuccessful.  I still believe that these are NetBIOS-
> related, not DNS-related.

  Well, I asked because I've seen them too...we have
QIP (DNS/DHCP management package from Lucent).  Their
GUI can be (and in our case _are_) configured to do
dynamic updates when changes are made to the DNS.  In
a number of cases over the last year or so I've noticed
that it generates opcode 8 broadcasts:
    ;; res_send()
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: 8, status: NOERROR, id: 0
    ;; flags:; Ques: 0, Ans: 0, Auth: 0, Addit: 0
    ;; Querying server (# 1) address = 0.0.0.0
Doesn't seem all that applicable to a routed network
and I haven't seen anything that documents it (how to
turn it off for example).
  I've periodically been curious, but haven't ever
managed to do anything about it.
					Scott