HOSTING AT HOME

Igmar Palsenberg maillist at chello.nl
Mon Nov 27 19:51:53 UTC 2000

>   Correct, but every machine has a host name.
>
> > There is official no way to keep an IP it it expires. The're scripts /
> > dhcpcd hacks that will keep trying until it receives the wanted IP.
>
>   you can try to 'hi-jack' the ip by doing this trick, you may need
>   an extra machine if the lease is less than 1 min (time needed to
>   reconfigure your machine to static and stop dhcp on client):
>
>   1. use a machine running client dhcp and start it up, examine what
>      ip address obtained, and write it down. If the ip lease is over
>      5min, you have sufficient time to reconfigure your machine to
>      static ip using this ip address. Immediately restart net service
>      and you are now static. @home DHCP server won't re-assign this
>      ip address to any other machine.

I've tried that trick with Chello (my ISP). In that case, nu traffic is
possible.

I'm on a different network now, and DHCP seems a little more tolerant. I
only switch IP if I change the NIC.

In theorie, the above story should indeed work.

>   2. If the lease obtained from the server is less than 1min, (most
>      servers offer much longer lease time), you can do this:

I still have to see the first DHCP server with a lease time < 1 min :)

>      Prepare to machines, one is dhcp client, and other one static,
>      put the dhcp client machine on-line first, once obtained a ip
>      from the dhcp server, immediately put this ip address to the
>      other standby machine and disconnect the dhcp client machine,
>      then connect the static machine. boom, you have hi-jacked the
>      ip and you are online static. The server has no way to change
>      or stop your using that ip.

This only works if the ISP's DHCP server checks ik the IP is active /
used. In case of the old Chello DHCP server, it didn't and reassigned the
IP to someone else.

I'll check the RFC if the provider must check this, but I doubt it..

	Igmar