HOSTING AT HOME

zz at rockstone.com zz at rockstone.com
Mon Nov 27 18:09:07 UTC 2000

> > Arrogant tone is often an indicator of ignorance or stupidness.
> > The trick is to make the dhcp always keep the same leased ip address the
> > client machine. That means client machine has to stop dhcp re-negotiation
> > request to the server once an initial lease is obtained.  If you keep the
> > traffic activity, the dhcp server will have to treat that leased ip is
> > already occupied on the LAN, if the dhcp server is configured properly
> > for avoiding ip conflicts. Thus the ip is not to assign to another machine.
> > thus effectively not expire the original ip lease.
> > Netbios name is equivalent to host name under a domain.
>
> Not every machine speaks NetBios.

  Correct, but every machine has a host name.

> There is official no way to keep an IP it it expires. The're scripts /
> dhcpcd hacks that will keep trying until it receives the wanted IP.

  you can try to 'hi-jack' the ip by doing this trick, you may need
  an extra machine if the lease is less than 1 min (time needed to
  reconfigure your machine to static and stop dhcp on client):

  1. use a machine running client dhcp and start it up, examine what
     ip address obtained, and write it down. If the ip lease is over
     5min, you have sufficient time to reconfigure your machine to
     static ip using this ip address. Immediately restart net service
     and you are now static. @home DHCP server won't re-assign this
     ip address to any other machine.

  2. If the lease obtained from the server is less than 1min, (most
     servers offer much longer lease time), you can do this:
     Prepare to machines, one is dhcp client, and other one static,
     put the dhcp client machine on-line first, once obtained a ip
     from the dhcp server, immediately put this ip address to the
     other standby machine and disconnect the dhcp client machine,
     then connect the static machine. boom, you have hi-jacked the
     ip and you are online static. The server has no way to change
     or stop your using that ip.