upgrading from BIND 4.x to 8.x

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Nov 24 17:28:55 UTC 2000

    >> We are going to upgrade our DNS from Solaris 2.5 (BIND 4.x) to
    >> 2.7 (BIND 8.x). I understand that the named.boot file will be
    >> replaced by named.conf, and that the named-bootconf script
    >> takes care of the conversion.
    >> Can you confirm that we can run with the (direct and reverse)
    >> SOA files currently in use, with *no change* but adding a $TTL
    >> directive in front, with the same value presently used in the
    >> last field of the SOA record ?

Nobody can confirm that unless they analyse your files. BIND8 is far
less tolerant of illegal constructs and syntax errors in zone files
than BIND4 was. I suggest you set up a BIND8 server on a test system
and see what errors you get when you load your existing zone files.
Any errors should be fixed before the actual upgrade: all you're doing
is getting rid of things that should never have been allowed in the
first place.

    >> nospam at ifctr.mi.cnr.it is a newsreading account used by more
    >> persons to avoid unwanted spam. Any mail returning to this
    >> address will be rejected.  Users can disclose their e-mail
    >> address in the article if they wish so.

Putting unreplyable email addresses in the headers of a message to a
mailing list is evil and anti-social. Don't do it. It doesn't stop
spammers. All it does is annoy the people who try to answer your
question.