Bind 8 -> bind 9 ndc tool

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Nov 24 17:18:37 UTC 2000

    Tijl> I wiped out my bind 8 release and installed bind 9 now I saw
    Tijl> it installed an rndc tool but my ndc tool is gone

It's not gone. Why would a BIND9 installation script delete a file
that wasn't part of the BIND9 distribution when it didn't even know or
care about that file? If it has deleted something it shouldn't have,
log a bug report. Having said that, ndc does not work with BIND9 so
the end result is that ndc and BIND9 don't mix.

    Tijl> Which tool do I need to use to restart stop , ... nameserver
    Tijl> etc , ...  And how do I need to configure it because when I
    Tijl> use rndc it says connection refused

The tool for managing a BIND9 name server is rndc. At present all it
can do is reload the server. You have to start and stop the server by
hand. This will be fixed in later BIND9 releases. Details on how to
configure the secure communication channel between rndc and the name
server are given in the man pages for rndc and rndc.conf. Did you read
them? Check out the section on the control{} statement in the BIND9
Administrators Reference Manual. The man pages and ARM can be found in
the doc/man and doc/arm directories of the BIND9 distribution.