MS, DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Nov 22 14:11:37 UTC 2000

Vyto Grigaliunas <vyto at fnal.gov> wrote:

>I'm not a WinNT/2000 administration expert, but does anyone know whether there
>is a way to disable this domain-wide (NT/2000 domain, that is)...like via the
>domain policies or something ??? Or does it need to be done on each individual
>Win2000 system ???

The MS default is for each Win2k Workstation to attempt
self-registration in DNS.  I assume that Win2k Servers also do
self-registration by default.  There is no way to disable this other
than to visit each W2k computer and change the TCP/IP settings.
I am not sure if a reboot is required; it was in the pre-RTM code.
People have said that in the final code (and SP1) MS eliminated the
need for a reboot; I have not verified this.

For more details on the self-registration check the archives at

     http://www.isc.org
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov