Help with BIND instalation on Solaris

Tiago Cury - Sun do Brasil Tiago.Cury at brazil.sun.com
Wed Nov 22 12:37:19 UTC 2000

> Hello from sunny Spain:
>
> I=B4m trying to install a BIND running on a Solaris 2.7 machine. All i want=
> =20
> it=B4s that this DNS server act as a hosts file, resolving
> names and ips , but without connect with other DNS machines (it`ll be in a=
> =20
> Intranet). Does any1 has a configuration file
> from any similar server? I need some examples to learn how to do that.

You can configure a cache-only/non-forward name server on your Intranet.
Download ISC BIND for Solaris at: http://sunfreeware.com

- Install bind: # pkgadd -a none -d <bind_package_filename>
- Configure the files in dns server:
  /etc/named.conf
  /var/named/<zonefiles>
- restart inetd daemon: # kill -HUP <inetd pid>

See the docs into BIND package to learn how to do that.

Thanks,

Tiago Cury
Sun Microsystems