newbie question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Nov 21 17:43:39 UTC 2000

ccfpark at jacksonville.net wrote:

>server is DONE priming
>server IS NOT loading its configuration
>
>What does that server IS NOT loading its coniguration mean?  Is that a
>problem?

It means that at the time the message was written the server was not
configuration (per the "server is DONE priming" message).  This has
been discussed before; check the archives.

>I've setup bind 8.2.2 p5 on my slackware linux box (kernel 2.2.16) and
>everything seems to be running fine I think - I'm trying to get Win2K to use
>it as its Active directory DNS and when I try to setup AD it bombs saying it
>can't locate the DNS server to check to see if it allows updates.  I have
>the IP of the win2k box in my allow-updates area of my forward and reverse
>zones and I have win2k set up to use the linux box as it's only DNS - I can
>surf and everything from the win2k box so I know the linux box is resolving
>names.  The only funny thing I see is this when I run "ndc status"

What is the error message when AD bombs, saying it can not locate the
DNS server?  We have an open case with MS on a similar issue.

There has been much discussion on this list since I joined in Sept. '99
concerning W2k and AD.  Check the archives as www.isc.org.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov