DNS subdomain problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 20 21:29:44 UTC 2000

Lars Bakke wrote:

> "Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message
> news:3A131BB3.EDEC09C5 at daimlerchrysler.com...
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by "the root DNS servers of my domain". Your
> domain
> > is not the root zone, presumably. What's important here is whether your
> > nameserver can get root zone information.
> Sorry. My mistake. What I ment was "the root DNS servers of my zone".

I'm still not sure what you mean. If you just mean the servers of your domain
(or zone), why do you say "root"? And if you mean the root servers, then why
say "of my zone"? One or the other seems superfluous.

> > You implied that you had a hints file. Whatever servers are listed in your
> > hints file should be authoritative (master or slave) for the *root* zone
> (i.e.
> > the zone "."). Are they?
>
> Yes they are. I have downloaded the file named.root from
> ftp.rs.internic.net. So it
> should be ok. I've not edited it....

All right, so you're expecting to use the Internet root servers. Are you sure
that your nameserver has a clear path to them, e.g. it is directly on the
Internet, or, if it is behind a firewall, that the proper routing is enabled
and that the firewall has the appropriate ports and protocols opened?

- Kevin