No subject

Philip Forst phil80 at netscape.net
Sun Nov 19 20:33:16 UTC 2000

Hello all.

I am using bind-8.2.2P5 on a Compaq Proliant 1600R server with Mandrake 7=
=2E1 as
the OS.

I have set up bind as a caching only server, with forwarders, as outlined=
 in
the latest DNS-HOWTO.  I get the "proper" response when using nslookup.  =
For
example, nslookup to a place (say cnn.com) that I've been to previoulsy w=
ill
return a "non-authoritative" answer with the usual IP address. So, I know=
 that
it is going to the master or secondary name servers in another state and
caching the answers.   A straight "nslookup" returns 127.0.0.1 as the def=
ault
nameserver.

I am running dhcp on the  network and list three nameservers in the
configuration file.  The caching only server is listed as the first name
server to go to.  The issue is when a dhcp client logs onto the network. =
 If I
run "winipcfg" from the Win95/98 client, the IP address of the caching on=
ly
server is not listed as the DNS server.  The first DNS server listed in t=
he
"forwarders" list of named.conf is listed as the DNS server.  =

My question:  Is it typical behavior that Windows clients are not listing=
 the
caching only server as thier DNS server?  If not, what could be causing t=
his
problem?

P.S.  Even though I am getting the "proper" responses with nslookup, usin=
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/named status" on the command line yields several commen=
ts
including "bind is not loading configuration file."  My next step is to t=
ry
listing the caching only server as the only DNS server on a Win95/98 clie=
nt
that uses a static address.  =

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated.  =