Recommended Patch

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Nov 15 16:30:03 UTC 2000

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 08:03:48PM +0900, Yu Kobayashi wrote:
>   Yesterday I asked about the version of BIND we're using in
> this Mailing List. But still I can't figure out the version
> of BIND... All we know is that the version of BIND we're
> using is very old.
>   As some people replied to me that I need to upgrade to
> a newer version, I think I should upgrade to 8.2.2-P7.
>
>   I read a Solaris book and it mentioned that we need the
> newest Recommended Patches provided by Sun Microsystems.
> I saw their homepage and saw several kinds of patches. But
> I have no idea of which patch (or patches) I need to install
> before actually installing BIND. I have seen patches like
> 108987, 2.6_Recommended, and so on. So here is a question.
>
>   Which patch or patches should I install?
>
>   Oh, once again our operating system is SunOS Release
> 4.1.4-JLE1.1.4.

First off - as you were told, start 'named' (in.named?) and look in the
logfile for the version number.

Install all Recommended, Security, and Y2K patches for this release
only.  Obviously, you must not install patches intended for more recent
releases - Solaris 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6, 7, or 8.  The patch set you mention
is the set of recommended patches for Solaris 2.6.

SunOS 4.1.4* is very old, pre-Solaris.  Its patches did not come in
sets.  You will have to download and install the patches one by one.
They are in tarballs, rather than install sets.  There is no special
tool that you use to install them.

Further information is best requested from the Sun users' mailing list,
as none of this has anything to do with the BIND suite of software or
with DNS.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B