A question about DNS.

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Nov 13 21:29:45 UTC 2000

> My current dns server (master) is a version of 8.2.2-REL and it is on FreeBSD
>  machine. I have just built up a redhat7.0 O/S in a new Linux machine with BI
> ND  8.2.2-P5.

	If these machines are on the Internet upgrade both immediately
	to BIND 8.2.2-P7.

> My question is can I move the dns master server by just transfer all the file
> s (changing some parameters too), i.e., host.conf, resolv.conf, named.conf, /
> etc/named directory over to this new redhat7.0 O/S machine and restart named.
>  Will this dns master work then?

	named.conf and the database files is all that is required for named.

	If you going to give the Linux box the same IP address as the
	FreeBSD box then that should be all you have to do.

	If it has a new IP address then once you have configured the Linux
	box.
	* You should make FreeBSD box a slave to the Linux box.
	* You should add the Linux box to the NS RRset for the zones
	served and up the serial number.  This will the propogate
	via the FreeBSD box to the old slaves.  Also at this point update
	the SOA origin field.
	* You then need to inform the parent zones of the new nameservers
	for the zone (if the FreeBSD box is not going to be a nameserver
	you can leave it out).
	* Make the old slave transfer from the new master.
	* Once the parent zones have updated the delegation information and
	if the FreeBSD box is not going to be a nameserver you can remove
	the NS record refering to the FreeBSD box from the zone.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com