AXFR from BIND primary to Win2k secondary - known problem?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Nov 13 17:37:17 UTC 2000

In our W2k testbed we had a MS W2k DNS box that we made the slave
for the anl.gov domain that is mastered on BIND 8.2.2-P5.  The MS
code had no problems transferring the anl.gov domain.  In the proccess,
for some reason, it decided that it needed to transfer all of the
anl.gov subdomains (e.g., phy.anl.gov, chm.anl.gov, ctd.anl.gov, etc.).
I saw no problems.  We needed this because our testbed is using the

     192.168.x.x

network, and it has no connectivity with the rest of the Argonne
network (nor the Internet), and we did not modify the root hints
file in the W2k DNS, so the W2k DNS did not know how to contact
dns1.anl.gov.  Once we modified the root hints in the testbed W2k DNS
box, we no longer needed the anl.gov domains there.  Actually, all we
really needed was the address of the testbed BIND server dns1.anl.gov.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov