Domain Name Registrar vs. Webcountry Hosting...Who do I believe?

Mitchell Krog mitchellk at allafrica.co.za
Sat Nov 11 09:11:44 UTC 2000

Hi Mathias

Well .. the domain is definately unpaid as per Uniforum's records.
and the owner is Steven Collen. If you have paid, did you fax the
deposit slip to Uniforum ???

To answer your other question.
Yes ... I would lodge a complaint against WebCountry and get your money
back or just refuse to pay any further until they can correctly setup
their DNS. The fact that they host 11,000+ sites means diddly squat.

The registrar Uniforum is not at fault here at all .. I register
hundreds of domains with them a year and they DO correctly check
for correct delegation of a zone. If a zone fails the Uniforum test
it will fail just about any other test ... you can bank on this.

One fact that Webcountry should advertise is that they know S**T about DNS.
Yes ... they have given you two Nameservers but they both point
to one machine ... which no registrar will accept anymore these
days ... there must physically be two DNS servers (seperate machines)
Also the actual zone files are NOT setup correctly either.

These guys with their 11,000+ sites hosted .....mmmmm ... 11,000 sites
all running off a crooked DNS ??? does not sound very believable to me at
all .... you will probably find that have a hundred clients hosting
with them and 10,900 sites of their own ... grin :)

Many International ISP's have this claim that "we have XXXXX sites" that
type of info means nothing to nobody ... what they always fail to mention
is "who" they host. I had major fights with three International ISP's
with primarily DNS related issue similar to yours and other problems.

And notice something else ... they all claim that they are the largest
..... what bull.

I did eventually get my money back with apology letters after several
months of hate mail between us and I was also tied into contracts.
So ... there is a way out.

My advice ... get rid of them, and get another ISP.

The to be "very" aware of:
IceStorm - http://www.icestorm.com
WebAxxs - http://www.webaxxs.net
OLM - http://www.olm.net
Icestorm - never answer any support requests, and when
  they do, they don't actually answer your questtion.
  They talk in circles.
Webaxxs and OLM are the same company and they too
  never bother fixing anything or taking the blame
  for anything. They also talk in circles so you never
  actually get an answer to your question.

A company I did use for a while although not for DNS
was Communitech - http://www.communitech.net and they
are a pretty good crowd to deal with. When I did cancel
with Communitech for no other reason besides the fact that
I was moving my sites to my own servers, they promptly
accepted my cancellation .... unlike the others who
ignore cancellation requests so that they can continue
billing the hell out of you.

Another good place to look for hosts is
http://www.hostindex.com

I hope you get sorted out.