Domain Name Registrar vs. Webcountry Hosting...Who do I believe?

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Fri Nov 10 16:36:08 UTC 2000

I did not follow this thread, but see below!

> Okay, so it seems that Webcountry still refuse to play ball and I'm =
locked
> into a 12-month pre-paid contract. They advertise via their site that =
they
> support all foreign domain names and they instruct their clients to =
use
> server.webcountry.net and ns2.webcountry.net as the nameservers but =
using
> nslookup both nameservers respond that the nameserver delegated=20
> for my zone
> is in fact www.webcountry.net .
>=20
> nslookup -q=3Dall internethosting.co.za server.webcountry.net
> nslookup -q=3Dall internethosting.co.za ns2.webcountry.net

Hmm. If I look up the NS records for internethosting.co.za, I get:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
internethosting.co.za.  23h59m21s IN CNAME  infosite.co.za.
infosite.co.za.         1D IN NS        ns2.surgeons.co.za.
infosite.co.za.         1D IN NS        ns1.surgeons.co.za.

the ZA whois page bears this out, but shows the domain as unpaid
and w/o NS records:
	http://co.za/cgi-bin/whois.sh?Domain=3Dinternethosting.co.za

There is no mentioning of webcountry etc.

Looks to me that the 'ownership' of this domain is in question
(unless I missed something else before)

>=20
> I have brought this to Webcountry's attention, and their response was
> basically the following:
>=20
> * that's the way we do it
> * if it's good enough for 11 000+ clients, it will have to be good =
enough
> for you.
> * our nameservers are set up to ICANN specifications
> * tell your domain name registrar to delegate the domain manually
>=20
> Both server.webcountry.net and ns2.webcountry.net respond with
> www.webcountry.net as the nameserver for my domain.
>=20
> 1. Does this mean that Webcountry has supplied me with two=20
> nameservers that
> are the same physical machine?
>=20
> 2. Must hosting companies supply two nameservers as a question of=20
> ethics or
> law? May they reside on the same physical machine?
>=20
> 3. Can I get a free secondary nameserver for the site? Should I even
> consider this?
>=20
> 4. Webcountry is registered with the Better Business Bereau in the US. =
Are