Two domain name in one machine(continued)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Nov 11 03:59:21 UTC 2000

huiqun liu wrote:

> Hi, every:
>
> yes, for diffrent domain, i can use different zone file. But how
> about the reverse resolve file? Following is my named.boot file:
> direcory /usr/local/dns
> primary dns1.com.sg dns1.hosts
> primary dns2.com.sg dns2.hosts
> primary 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa  ???
> primary 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa ???
> cache .  db.cache
> For the in-addr.arpa reverse resolve file, which domain should the
> PTR records point to(dns1 or dns2)? I have thought of creating two
> different resolve file, but the 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa is same.

You can point them to dns1 or dns2, or some mixture of the two. Note that few
applications care about reverse lookups at all, and even of those that do,
most of them do a reverse lookup, then a forward lookup of the PTR target
name, and just verify that the forward entry resolves to the original
IP address with which they started. In which case, it doesn't matter which
name the PTR points to. I can't recall *any* application that does a forward
lookup first and then requires that the reverse lookup matches it exactly.
I would consider such an authentication mechanism _broken_.

- Kevin