Multiple virtual sites on one IP address

Igmar Palsenberg maillist at chello.nl
Fri Nov 10 23:01:27 UTC 2000

> I'm sorry, but I don't know BIND. I do know a little DNS stuff, but not
> much. In the DNS Manager screen, the Server that should be there is what? My
> ISP's primary DNS Server (i.e. ns1.myisp.com)? I'm not sure.

The basic story about virtual hosting :

- A lot of names point to the same IP. The reverse is usually some nice
  name, but is not an issue
- The server finds out what the clients want, with HTTP the Server header.

In DNS :

You make an A record for each virtual host to some generic IP.

In the zone files :

www.somedomain.com	A	x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the IP the server listens on (the server that does
virtual domains that is).

	Igmar