Maybe old one: DNS request by Win9x Clients and Linux Server

Sebastian Georgi CAPITA sgeorgi at capita.de
Fri Nov 3 14:09:16 UTC 2000

Hi there,
maybe this is an question that has been asked multiple times before, but I'm
new to this list and don't have that much time actually. So I'd appreciate
any help :)
TIA

As I live in germany, there is actually no reliable/cheap flatrate
available. So in a heterogenous network with a Linux Server, acting as a
nameserver(bind), and several Win9x Clients, I noticed that bind does
dialouts almost every 5-10 minutes. Due to /var/log/messages there is a
request on the DNS-Port from the server itself, everytime ANY name has to be
resolved in the network (e.g. Winlogon, Telnet xserver, etc..). So you can
imagine that telephone costs are skyrocketing right now in auto dialmode.

Is there any way so tell bind only to answer requests for
internet-addresses? Or do I have to fix something on the Clients? By the way
bind8.2.3 is perfectly quit without any clients on the network.
So please help me or tell me other, maybe windows-related, places to search
for help.

Best Regards from Germany, fall is on its way and it's getting f**k*n* cold
:)

	Sebastian Georgi
	Sysadm@
	CAPITA Unternehmensberatung GmbH