private address block & DNS

EK ethan at inlightnet.net
Tue May 2 03:27:08 UTC 2000

I was wondering how to handle 192.168 address with DNS.  The way things are
setup here, we have many hosts running behind a firewall with the 192.168
address scheme (and only a limited number of real IPs).  I would like to be
able to have them listed in DNS so that they are accessable via their
hostname.domain.com ( I was hoping to have them dynamically updated via dhcp
server).  I am under the impression I simply can't go out and make a
10.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone or have A records pointing to a 192.169 address
on a server which answers  inet queries for our domain.com, or is this okay
because this is private address space and wouldn't receive queries from any
machines besides the one's inside our firewall?...  I also thought about
just setting up an internal (behind-fw) name server authoritative for a dhcp
(dhcp.domain.com) subdomain, and have that do dynamic updates for the
192.168 clients (ie new client -> newclient.dhcp.domain.com), and use that
as the primary nameserver for all the clients as well.   However this seems
like it would still run into the problem of listing a private address to the
world (dhcp.domain.com would resolve to 192.168.x.x if queried by an inet
host via ns1.domain.com)..  maybe this doesn't make sense and there's a much
easier way to go about it, but I havent found it yet..

Thanks for any help,

E.