NT service using cache

philip.wolfe at quintiles.com philip.wolfe at quintiles.com
Thu May 25 07:27:29 UTC 2000

Hello,

Not being familiar with NT DNS, I have another administrator with an internal
only NT DNS BIND version ??? who wants to resolve externally from our parent DNS
server. He attempted to hack the \winnt\system32\dns\cache.dns file and comment
out the root servers. Interesting idea I know, but after his hack, he attempted
to resolve via our parent server and his NT DNS service still used its cache
file and resolved to the root servers. When he inspected his cache file the
comments were gone.

I suspect that this is a permissions problem, but thought I'd ask. Also, I
suspect that he was still able to resolve due to his cache, but please correct
me if wrong.

Also, I advised him to simply set up his forwarders for External resolution
instead of hacking the configuration. Am I correct in that advice?

Cheers.