please,please help

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 24 14:51:03 UTC 2000

In article <001901bfc580$4a639830$9f01a8c0 at 523.bakerref.com>,
Hayden Wimmer <hwimmer at bakerref.com> wrote:
>when i do nslookups i always get this in-addr.arpa
>for example
>nslookup 192.168.1.234    returns
>
>server: hemi.168.192.in-addr.arpa
>address: 192.168.1.248
>
>name: charger.168.192.in-addr.arpa
>address: 192.168.1.234

>here is the reverse file
>
>;
>;  reverse mapping
>;
>;
>
>test.com. IN SOA hemi.test.com. root.hemi.test.com.(

This should be:

168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA ...

or:

@ IN SOA ...

Also, you need a space before the '('.

>       4  ; serial
>  21600  ; refresh
>  1800  ; retry
>  604800  ; expire
>  86400 )  ; minimum
>

>;name servers
> IN NS hemi.test.com.
> IN NS supernova.test.com.

>;reverse
>1.1 IN MX 10 jebwebsrv1
>234.1 IN MX 20 charger

Why do you have MX records in a reverse domain?

>248.1 IN NS hemi
>248.5 IN NS supernova
>248.5 IN  PTR supernova

This should be:

248.5 IN PTR supernova.test.com.

Any name that doesn't end in "." gets the name of the zone appended to it,
and in this case the zone name is "168.192.in-addr.arpa".  So if you don't
put a fully-qualified name in the PTR records, it's treated as:

248.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR supernova.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA