Dynamic Updates/Authority

Shaun Clowes shaman at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue May 23 05:20:29 UTC 2000

Hi All,

I have a problem and I'm a little at a loss as to where the problem
is. I'm running Bind 8.2.2-P5 and ISC DHCPD dhcp-3.0b1pl13 in a dynamic
DNS configuration. Lately I've been witnessing strange problems. The DHCP
server always inserts records with YXRRSET, so it will not replace
existing records, however, I have a case where data was deleted by the
server (the server only deletes records it knows it inserted) and still
had records for that host in the DNS, both an A and a PTR record. Anyone
seen this type of thing?

I have another problem, this one being a really puzzling one, today my
master server decided to believe it was not authorititative. None of the
configuration files had changed, and unless I'm mistaken nsupdate can't be
used to make the server non authoritative. In order to restore it I had to
shut it down and restart it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shaun