A records point to a domain

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon May 22 18:55:07 UTC 2000

Stewart Tolhurst wrote:

> In article <39242101.45495242 at anta.net>, Thor Kottelin <thor at anta.net>
> says...

> > "yahoo.com." is a perfectly
> > valid, normal domain name, just like "www.www.yahoo.com.",
> > "www.yahoo.com." or "www.com."
>
> Carry this on to its logical conclusion and you would be saying that
> "com" is a valid hostname - which wouldn't really be that much use to
> anyone.

It wouldn't? I'd be happy to take it. Can I have the root domain as well?

> What I feel that it breaks is the heirarchical way that DNS is organised.
> The structure of hostname.subdomain.subdomain.domain.tld (to take an
> extreme example) makes sense whereas (to me anyway) domain.tld being the
> name of a host makes no sense at all.

Well, one of the most popular web sites here in my country is
<URL:http://www.fi/>. The FQDN in that URL follows normal DNS hierarchy
quite perfectly.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.