A records point to a domain

Stewart Tolhurst news at stolhurst.freeuk.com
Mon May 22 09:27:49 UTC 2000

In article <39242101.45495242 at anta.net>, Thor Kottelin <thor at anta.net>
says...

> Stewart Tolhurst wrote:
>
> > e.g. http://yahoo.com goes to the
> > same site as http://www.yahoo.com
>
> > It seems to me that this breaks every DNS convention - but it appears to
> > work.
>
> Exactly what do you mean it would "break"? "yahoo.com." is a perfectly
> valid, normal domain name, just like "www.www.yahoo.com.",
> "www.yahoo.com." or "www.com."

Carry this on to its logical conclusion and you would be saying that
"com" is a valid hostname - which wouldn't really be that much use to
anyone.

What I feel that it breaks is the heirarchical way that DNS is organised.
The structure of hostname.subdomain.subdomain.domain.tld (to take an
extreme example) makes sense whereas (to me anyway) domain.tld being the
name of a host makes no sense at all.

Just becuase people use something doesn't mean that it complies to RCFs -
just ask Microsoft.

Stewart

--
Use reply to to email me