Reverse DNS and RFC 2317

Don Stokes don at news.daedalus.co.nz
Thu May 18 07:28:09 UTC 2000

In article <01BFC074.F2F44FA0.gwardell at Yeshua.cc>,
Gary Wardell  <gwardell at Yeshua.cc> wrote:
>Another ISP that I talked to, thinking of moving, said that they don't
>delegae and that they wouldnlt put my mserver name in either.  That they
>only use generic name like dsl.max63.isp.net.  While my forward would be
>mail.yeshua.cc which also apears on my MX.  The second ISP almost guranteed
>that I wouldn't have any trouble with their setup.
>
>So. if the reciveing MTA is checking for a matchiung name in the MX record
>and the existance of a reversx PTR then I'm ok, right?

Yes.  That should be fine, assuming there's a corresponding forward
map A record for dsl.max63.isp.net pointing to your IP address.  You
need an A record for mail.yeshua.cc pointing to your address too,
obviously, but this is completely decoupled from where the reverse map
points.

The reverse map gets looked up when you send mail (or make other types
of connections as a client), so the receiving server knows more about
what is connecting to it.  Some mail servers are configured to reject
mail when they find a missing PTR record, or worse, one which can't be
forward resolved to the same address.

>BTW, I think your right that my current upstream ISP doesn't have a clue
>about several things.

8-)

-- don