Reverse DNS and RFC 2317

Gary Wardell gwardell at Yeshua.cc
Thu May 18 06:58:30 UTC 2000

Hi,

But in my case, and the reason I posed this question, I have a few services
running, one of them being a mail server running at mail.yeshua.cc.

The ISP I am currently at has virtually nothing in the in-addr.arpa for the
class C block than my 16 ips are in.

Another ISP that I talked to, thinking of moving, said that they don't
delegae and that they wouldnlt put my mserver name in either.  That they
only use generic name like dsl.max63.isp.net.  While my forward would be
mail.yeshua.cc which also apears on my MX.  The second ISP almost guranteed
that I wouldn't have any trouble with their setup.

So. if the reciveing MTA is checking for a matchiung name in the MX record
and the existance of a reversx PTR then I'm ok, right?

BTW, I think your right that my current upstream ISP doesn't have a clue
about several things.

Gary