Private Public DNS question

Ken Eddings eddingsk at apple.com
Thu Mar 23 00:30:45 UTC 2000

I'm the hostmaster for the apple.com domain.  I get one or two
messages a month on this topic.  Invariably they're doing the default
NAT on a Checkpoint FW-1 setup.

I am running mostly BIND-8 servers mimicking BIND-4 behavior until we
redo our firewalls.  I'm using the below option to keep the BIND-4
behavior on the BIND-8 servers.

         query-source address * port 53;

Once I explain to them what I think the problem is, they usually stop
NATting the the DNS queries and go to a forwarding setup.

Cheers,

--
Ken Eddings, Hostmaster, IS&T, eddingsk at apple.com, eddingsk at ricochet.net
    Work:+1 408 974-4286 Pager: +1 408 699-3591, Fax: +1 408 974-1560