reverse zonefiles for multiple domains / server

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 22 18:30:53 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10003221803180.13543-100000 at rezi.sch.bme.hu>,
pt  <rpet at rezi.sch.bme.hu> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>This is my first message to this lists, greets to everyone.
>
>I have two bind8 dns server set up with just one domain (foo.org). I am
>the primary for the zone. It is set up to act like split dns. Now my
>company registrated the foo domain under the .com .net .hu toplevel
>domains, so i'll need to make the zonefiles for each zone. I only have
>problems with the reverze zone's.
>
>The ip address that the domains are mapped to is the same, so there is no
>difference between the host records etc.
>
>When i tried to set up the reverse zone, bind was complaining about that
>it cannot redifine the zone.

>The problem is, that if i send email to somewhere, the MTA will look back
>my ip, and if i send the letter from foo.org, and the reverse lookup is
>foo.com then there may be trouble communicating with them. Also some ftp

No mail server should do that.  It is quite common for mail servers to
relay mail from domains that don't correspond to them.  For instance, many
of our customers relay their mail through outbound.sys.gtei.net, but our
mail server doesn't have the same address as their domain.

>servers and irc servers does not let me in, if my dns setup is broken.

You shouldn't need to have multiple PTR records.  All that should matter is
that the PTR record points to a name that points back to the original
address.

>SO it's not clear how to define reverze zones for my setup.

If you really want multiple reverse entries, you should put them all in one
file, i.e.

1 IN PTR host1.foo.org.
  IN PTR host1.foo.hu.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com