reverse zonefiles for multiple domains / server

pt rpet at rezi.sch.bme.hu
Wed Mar 22 18:19:03 UTC 2000

Hi there,

This is my first message to this lists, greets to everyone.

I have two bind8 dns server set up with just one domain (foo.org). I am
the primary for the zone. It is set up to act like split dns. Now my
company registrated the foo domain under the .com .net .hu toplevel
domains, so i'll need to make the zonefiles for each zone. I only have
problems with the reverze zone's.

The ip address that the domains are mapped to is the same, so there is no
difference between the host records etc.

When i tried to set up the reverse zone, bind was complaining about that
it cannot redifine the zone.

/etc/named.conf:106: cannot redefine zone '56.228.195.in-addr.arpa' class
IN

the zonefile looks like this, (only the reverse entries)

zone "11.22.33.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.rev-foo.org";
        allow-transfer { dns-servers;};

};

zone "11.22.33.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.rev-foo.hu";
        allow-transfer { dns-servers;};

};

The problem is, that if i send email to somewhere, the MTA will look back
my ip, and if i send the letter from foo.org, and the reverse lookup is
foo.com then there may be trouble communicating with them. Also some ftp
servers and irc servers does not let me in, if my dns setup is broken.

SO it's not clear how to define reverze zones for my setup.

I was browsing though the mailinglist archives, but could not find the
answer yet, but i'll need to define them as soon as possible.

TIA,

Best regards,

PT