A or CNAME?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 13 21:56:34 UTC 2000

Takács István wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to set up an external web server into our
> DNS as it would be in our domain.
>
> It has it's own domain name, e.g. www.xyz.com and
> we are www.abc.com.
> The external users have to find that server as net.abc.com
> How can I set this up in the db.abc.com file?
>
> net     A       IP address
>
> or
>
> net     CNAME           www.xyz.com
> www.xyz.com             IP address

Modern versions of BIND won't accept data for "xyz.com" in the zonefile
for "abc.com". Unless you can get the owners of "xyz.com" to create the
appropriate "www.xyz.com" A record, you're not going to be able to
CNAME "net.abc.com" to that name, and thus your only choice is to create
"net.abc.com" as an A record. Unfortunately, that means you have to
change your A record if and whenever the address changes.

- Kevin