dual named processes

Chris Cell ccell at home.com
Mon Mar 13 15:18:04 UTC 2000

  I trying to setup two processes of named on the same machine (Internal and External), and am having problems with both running at the same time. When I have both running I get different errors including: nameserver already running, and it deletes the listen-on interfaces on the primary. Errors on the secondary say 10.1.1.1 not authoritative for mydomain.domain. The strange thing is if I point to the primary nameserver for both internal and external I get resolution for everything (internal names, can browse the Internet, etc), but zone transfer does not work on one of the processes and dns doesn't work properly for either process on the secondary unless I stop one or the other. When I kill one of the processes on the secondary the one left running is perfect. Also, on the secondary the process that starts first on boot gets zone transfers, but the other will not (I changed the order, and it holds true). Both of the outside servers are internally controlled and administered (the ISP has nothing to do with zone transfers, etc).
  It is running on Redhat 6.1, bind version 8.1.2 I believe (that could be wrong, what ever comes with Redhat 6.1 out of the box). Both the primary and secondary nameservers are setup this way. The outside process primary and secondary server names, and public addresses are registered at NSI. The inside process is not publicly known, and in fact due to securities cannot reach past the firewalls. On the primary nameserver I have two physical nics with two ip addresses, and on the secondary I created a virtual interface for the second ip address. The servers are in two different geographical locations, with separate Internet connections. I have also changed the internal process's named.ca to point to the primary internal private ip address as root (external process named.ca normal). I edited /etc/rc.d/init.d/named to start both on boot, and when I check they are both running.

Quick look:

Primary nameserver (primary for both inside and outside processes).
Host name Primary

Outside process:
alias nse
mydomain.domain
10.1.1.1/255.255.255.0 (being NAT'ed at the firewall to 1.1.1.1 - registered at NSI)
listening on 10.1.1.1
flies in /var/named/external

Inside process:
alias ns
my-domain.domain
10.1.1.2/255.255.255.0
listening on 10.1.1.2
files in /var/named

Secondary nameserver
Host name secondary

Outside process:
alias nse2
mydomain.domain
10.2.1.1/255.255.255.0 (being NAT'ed at the firewall to 2.2.2.2 - registered at NSI)
listening on 10.2.1.1
files in /var/named/external
master 10.1.1.1

Inside process:
alais ns2
my-domain.domain
10.2.1.2/255.255.255.0
listening on 10.2.1.2
files in /var/named
master 10.1.1.2

I thought that you could run two processes at the same time on bind 8.x. Is there something I missed, or can this not be done in this manner? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Chris